Expert and Campaigner of The Yasuní-ITT Initiative
Yasuní, situated in the Amazon, is one of the most biological diverse parks in the world and it hosts several indigenous groups, of which two are living in voluntary isolation. However, the park also contains oil reserves. Ecuador proposes to leave the oil reserves of the ITT block in Yasuní untouched if the international community donates at least half of the revenues the state would receive by extracting it. The donations will be invested in nature conservation, renewable energy, and social projects.
The Initiative is supported by countries (i.e. Germany and Spain), celebrities (i.e. Leonardo diCaprio, Al Gore, Desmund Tutu, and Vandana Shiva) and organizations/institutions (i.e. UNDP, EU, WRI, and OPEC).
Next to my thesis, I have written several articles related to the project and presented the initiative during international meetings, such as the UN Climate Change meeting in Copenhagen, 2009. My thesis described issues of equity and power relations on the national and international level related to Yasuni-ITT.
Currently, I promote the initiative, especially in The Netherlands, together by working on Friends of Yasuni, a new NGO based in the Netherlands but supporting (sustainability) projects in Yasuni.
Also, a Dutch book is to be published as to promote the initative under a wide public.
- Facebook: become a 'Friend of Yasuní-ITT' on Facebook
- Twitter: #Yasuni
- LinkidIn: become member of 'The Yasuní-ITT' LinkidIn group
- More information? Sign this form for more information and being updated on events by the Ecuadorian Embassy in The Hague.
For more information see:
- Yasuni-ITT EU: http://www.yasuni-itt.eu/
- Larrea, C, Greene, N., Rival, L., Sevilla, E., and Warnars, L. (2009). Ecuador. Towards a new development model. Yasuni-ITT. An initiative to change history. Global Business: Quito, Ecuador.
- Larrea, C., and Warnars, L. (2009). “Ecuador's Yasuni-ITT Initiative: Avoiding emissions by keeping petroleum underground.” In: Energy for Sustainable Development, International Energy Initiative. Volume 13, Number 3, pp. 219–223. Elsevier Inc.
- Rival, L. (2010). 'Ecuador's Yasuni-ITT Initiative: The old and the new values of petroleum'. In: Elsevier: Ecological Economics. 70. (2010). pp. 358 - 365. Elsevier B.V.
- Shelton, D. (2012). Ecuador's Yasuní-ITT Initiative: a promise for the future. Master Thesis. Plymouth University.
- Warnars, L. (2010). “The Yasuni-ITT Initiative: a new model to implement human rights and biological diversity conventions and frameworks?” In: IUCN, Policy Matters, 17, 2010, Exploring the Rights to Diversity in Conservation Law, Policy, and Practice
- Warnars, L. (2010). The Yasuni-ITT Initiative: an international equity mechanism? Unpublished Master thesis of Social and Political Sciences of the Environment. School of Management. Radboud University, Nijmegen